Restaurant evacuated due to fire, officials blame homeless camp

REDDING, Calif. - Redding firefighters said the fire that burned near the riverbank behind View 202 Wednesday was possibly ignited by a transient camp.

The fire started around 8:30 p.m. Firefighters said the fire was possibly caused by debris or trash from a transient camp. Due to the fire View 202 had to evacuate losing over $2,000.

View 202 Executive Chef Sean Gafner said he's tired of dealing with the problems that transients cause. Gafner said transients come to the restaurants patio at night and have also disrupted customers during dinner.

"There's been multiple times, three times in the last 18 months I've had to run somebody off," Gafner said. "And a lot of times they kinda give you the finger and don't wanna listen to you and you say 'hey the cops are on their way.' They'll change, they'll strip down and sit out here by the river naked, off the beautiful you know patio."

Most Popular

Pictures In the News