OROVILLE, Calif. - The CHP reports a second person has died after a head-on crash on Highway 70 in Oroville Monday night.
A 41-year-old Marysville man was pronounced dead at the scene. As of Tuesday morning his name was not being released pending notification of next of kin.
The Butte County Coroner's Office identified the second person who died as Kimberly Orozco, 20 of Berry Creek. According to the CHP she was in another vehicle and died at Enloe Medical Center in Chico at 11:30 Monday night.
The collision happened at about 6:15 p.m. just north of Ophir Road. Highway 70 was closed for nearly 3 hours Monday night after the crash.
CHP investigators said the Marysville man was driving a Honda Civic when he ran a red light at Georgia Pacific Highway and went south in the northbound lanes. The Honda collided head-on with a BMW carrying Orozco and a 20-year-old male driver from Biggs.
Orozco and the driver of the BMW were taken to the hospital with major injuries.
According to a CHP news release, an open container of alcohol was found inside the Honda.
Officers are working to determine if alcohol played a role in the collision.
- Updated 5 things learned from Trump's 100-day interview
- Updated Emmanuel Macron vows to avoid 'mistake Hillary Clinton made'
- Updated GOP's health care push tests Democratic resistance
- Updated U.K. growth falls to just 0.3%. Is more pain on the way?
- Friday, April 28th Forecast: Warmer and drier conditions going into the weekend