REDDING, Calif. - Shasta County health officials are warning the public of the first confirmed case of measles in the county in at least 17 years. They are warning people who may have come in contact with the infected person to take precautions.
So far this year there have been 52 cases of measles in California. Last year during the same period there were just four.
Public health said anyone at the Olive Garden restaurant in Redding last Tuesday, April 1, between the hours of 5 and 6:30 p.m. should double check to make sure they received two doses of the measles vaccine, which is usually given in the measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) vaccine.
Those who haven't been vaccinated should be aware if they exhibit measles symptoms, which include fever, cough, runny nose, conjunctivitis (pink eye) and then a rash that starts at the head and spreads downwards.
Anyone who thinks they may be feeling symptoms is asked to contact a doctors office via telephone rather than showing up in person due to the highly contagious nature of the disease.
People who catch measles are usually contagious four days before their rash starts to four days after it clears up.
Pregnant women and children are most susceptible to contracting it.
So far this year there have been 52 cases of measles in California. Last year during the same period there were just four cases.
Measles cases this year have been detected in Southern California and the Bay Area; Shasta County is the first Northstate county to have one.
Shasta County Public Health said 12 of California's 52 cases were contracted by people who had traveled to countries where outbreaks are occurring. For that reason, they encourage people heading abroad to get vaccinated beforehand.