CHICO, Calif. - Chico Police spent Wednesday morning on the Skyway investigating a fatal vehicle vs pedestrian collision.
The collision happened 12:30 a.m. on the Skyway in South Chico just east of Bruce Road in Chico.
Police said a Chevy S-10 pickup was westbound coming into Chico when it hit a man who was in or near the right lane. The impact shattered the windshield.
The victim, a 38 year old man whom police say may be a transient, was pronounced dead at the hospital.
The driver, a 19-year-old man, stopped and has been cooperative with investigators .
The Skyway was closed for an hour as police investigated. One lane in each direction was reopened in the early morning hours. The road fully reopened to four lanes just before 6 a.m..
Chico Police said this is the thrid fatal collision involving a bicyclist or pedestrian in the last 6 weeks.
In the previous collisions, college students were killed while riding their bicycles. All the collisions happened after dark. Police said if you're in or near the road wear lights or reflective clothing.
- Suspect identified in Modoc deputy killing
- Updated 'El Chapo' extradition to US clears another legal hurdle
- Updated Hopkins honored with moment of silence by Butte College law enforcement recruits
- New Weather Forecast: Slightly Cooler but still Dry
- Updated Rodrigo Duterte flummoxes US with call for 'separation'