REDDING, Calif. - Hoops and happiness combined to create smiles Saturday in Shasta County.
It was joy all-around at the annual Special Olympics Basketball Tournament. There were more than 20 teams from around the Northstate, including squads from Butte, Tehama, Yuba-Sutter, Lassen and Shasta County.
It is a pleasing experience for both the participants and the organizers.
"It's the highlight of their year, either doing this or softball," said Tehama County volunteer Christopher Travis. "I think that's just it. If you don't get any joy out of seeing the light on their faces, that pretty much sums it up."
Opening ceremonies were held Saturday morning and competition continued into the afternoon.
Games took place at Enterprise High School's Manatowa Gymnasium, Alta Mesa School, and Liberty Christian.
The event wraps up Sunday.
- Updated Could Zika pose a problem for Florida's tourism industry?
- Four people dead after medical plane crashes
- Wing part 'highly likely' from MH370, Australian officials say
- Humboldt Bay Harbor, Recreation and Conservation District decides not to fund educational videos
- Humboldt County Cannabis Chamber of Commerce against cannabis excise tax