A suspect was taken into custody after deputies say he led them on a chase in a stolen SUV belonging to the Butte County Sheriff's Office Monday night.
KRCR News Channel Seven's Tyler May was at the scene just after the pursuit came to an end in Sutter County.
Deputies say Omar Cazares, 39, broke into the vehicle in the Sheriff's Office parking lot in Oroville at about 7:30 p.m using a rock. Cazares then allegedly drove away using the keys that were inside the vehicle.
The pursuit headed west from Oroville, then south on Highway 99 through Gridley and Live Oak. Cazares was able to evade two sets of spike strips. The pursuit came to an end at about 8:15 when the stolen SUV hit a third set of spike strips just south of Encinal Road.
Deputies used a Sheriff's K9 and stun gun were used to bring Cazares into custody. He was taken to the hospital then booked into the Butte County Jail.
The Butte County Sheriff's Office, CHP, Gridley-Biggs Police Department, and Yuba County Sheriff's Office all took part in the pursuit.
- London attack: 2 remain in custody for questioning
- Updated US: Airstrikes hit ISIS in area where civilian deaths are alleged
- Officer-involved shooting investigation continues, I-5 closed
- Updated Pig-masked man among burglars to hit Bellagio jewelry store in Las Vegas
- Emboldened Democrats look ahead to next fight