MARYSVILLE, Calif. - Highway 70 was closed for about three hours Thursday afternoon after a fatal head-on collision near the Butte-Yuba County line.
The collision happened at 3:54 p.m. on Highway 70 near Surrey Way, about eight miles south of the county line.
Highway 70 traffic was detoured until the road re-opened at 6:30 p.m..
The CHP said two pickups collided killing both of the drivers.
A white pickup truck was southbound and a brown pickup was northbound, when one of the trucks blew a tire and traveled into oncoming traffic. Both were traveling 60-65 miles per hour.
Two people have been confirmed dead, a man born in 1962 and a woman born in 1959. The names of the victims were not released, pending notification of family.
The white pickup had two passengers, both suffered major injuries.
- Updated Volkswagen agrees to compensate US dealers over emissions scandal
- Some evacuations lifted for Grade Fire in Siskiyou County
- Updated Lochte's presence is desired by Brazilian authorities
- Updated Heroin seizure a 'substantial' dent in opioid epidemic
- Updated Jimmy Carter, rebuilding after cancer