MAGALIA, Calif. - The Butte County Sheriff's Office confirmed three bodies were found inside a burned vehicle early Thursday morning in Magalia.
The call came in at approximately 12:15 a.m.. A vehicle fire was reported on Hupp Coutelenc Road at the Skyway. The scene is located between Magalia and Stirling City.
CAL FIRE responded and extinguished the fire that burned the car and the surrounding vegetation.
As part of the mop up procedure, firefighters opened the hood and the trunk of the vehicle. Inside the trunk they found two bodies. Investigators said they also found a body in the back seat.
The cause of the deaths remains under investigation. The bodies have yet to be identified.
The car was an Acura sedan reported stolen in Sacramento on Tuesday.
The owner left the car running in her drive way and went inside her home for a few minutes. When she came out, her car was being driven off.
The Butte County Sheriff's Office will examine the burned vehicle looking for evidence.
KRCR News Channel 7 will pass along new information as it becomes available.
- Updated Italy earthquake survivors: "The future is finished"
- Some evacuations lifted for Grade Fire in Siskiyou County
- Updated Xtra Point Week Zero: Foothill pulls out late victory at West Valley
- Updated Court declines to hear appeal on Wisconsin voter ID law before election
- Luncheon aims to teach community about aviation infrastructure uses