FAIRFIELD, Calif. - A well-known pilot died in a crash at an air show at Travis Air Force Base in Fairfield. 77-year-old Eddie Andreini of Half Moon Bay was killed Sunday afternoon. Long-time fans of the Redding and Chico air shows will recognize Andreini's name. He's performed several times in the Northstate.
Andreini has performed in almost a thousand air shows in his Boeing Stearman, P-51, and a Yak-9. He was scheduled to be in Redding again in September. Andreini crashed at the "Thunder Over Solano" air show at Travis Air Force Base around 2 p.m. Sunday.
It happened during an acrobatic aerial maneuver in an open field away from spectators. Officials said he was performing a trick where he flew upside down close to the ground when he crashed.
Andreini had been flying since he was 16.
After the crash, the show was canceled. An estimated 100,000 people attended Sunday's show.
- Updated Hillary Clinton's challenge: Igniting excitement
- Murder suspect captured in Tehama Co., taken to Siskiyou Co.
- UPDATE: Rollover crash causes power outages in Redding
- Updated Police: Woman calls 911 to make demands while driving recklessly
- Updated Russian officials blame thawed reindeer carcass in anthrax outbreak