MOUNTAIN GATE, Calif. - CAL FIRE is responding to a wildfire that is burning along Interstate 5 in Shasta County north of Redding near the community of Mountain Gate.
Authorities are evacuating children from the North Woods Discovery Charter School and moving them to the Shasta Lake School in the City of Shasta Lake.
According to CAL FIRE, residents of the Wonderland Mobile Home Park are being advised to evacuate. The south end of Fawndale Road to Wonderland Boulevard is also being evacuated.
The fire was reported around 11 a.m. near Interstate 5 at Wonderland Boulevard.
As of 12:30 p.m. CAL FIRE said the fire had burned 15 acres and was 30% contained.
The fire briefly closed northbound traffic. As of 12:40 p.m. the northbound lanes of Interstate 5 were back open. The off-ramp from northbound Interstate 5 to Fawndale Road was closed. Southbound traffic was reduced to one lane at Bridge Bay with CHP escorts.
The Wonderland Boulevard overpass at Interstate 5 was also closed.
The Red Cross has opened an evacuation center at Redding Pentecostal Church of God at 3220 Keswick Dam Boulevard.
Residents can call 225-2510 for information about evacuations.
Stay with KRCR News Channel 7 for updates.
- Suspect identified in Modoc deputy killing
- Updated 'El Chapo' extradition to US clears another legal hurdle
- Updated Hopkins honored with moment of silence by Butte College law enforcement recruits
- New Weather Forecast: Slightly Cooler but still Dry
- Updated Rodrigo Duterte flummoxes US with call for 'separation'