DARK GULCH, Calif. - On January 9 at 5:39 p.m., the California Highway Patrol reported that Joshua Hoefer, 38, of Fort Bragg was driving northbound on Highway 1 and was nearing a sharp right hand turn just south of Dark Gulch. They say at the same time, Roberto Gloria,62, of Albion was traveling southbound on Highway-1 through the same curve near Dark Gulch.
CHP reported that Hoefer approached the curve at a speed of about 60 mph, which they say, was way too fast for the wet and rainy conditions. They say it caused him to lose traction while making the turn and say, instead of driving around the curve, the Honda drove in a straight line and crossed into the southbound lane, hitting Gloria head-on.
After the accident both vehicles came to a halt on the middle of the road in the southbound lane of Highway-1 and both men were transported to the Mendocino Coast District Hospital.
- Updated Pig-masked man among burglars to hit Bellagio jewelry store in Las Vegas
- London attack: 2 remain in custody for questioning
- Updated Officer-involved shooting investigation continues, I-5 closed
- Updated Emboldened Democrats look ahead to next fight
- Worried about companies spying on your browsing? Here's what you can do